SKIP TO PAGE CONTENT

Addresses & Locations

Uvalde
2401 Garner Field Road
Uvalde, TX 78801
(830) 278-4401

Del Rio
207 Wildcat Drive
Del Rio, TX 78840
(830) 703-1550

Eagle Pass
3101 Bob Rogers Drive
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
(830) 758-4100 

Jack R. Chittum Technical Campus
1980 North Veterans Boulevard
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
(830) 758-4125 

Crystal City
215 W. Zavala Street
Crystal City, TX 78839
(830) 374-3378 

Hondo
402 Carter Street
Hondo, TX 78861
(830) 426-2018  

Medina Valley
153 CR 483
La Coste, Texas  78039 

Pearsall
523 E. Florida Street
Pearsall, TX 78061
(830) 334-5004

 


Accreditation

Southwest Texas Junior College is accredited with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the Associate of Arts in General Studies, Associate of Arts in Teaching, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science degrees and certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Southwest Texas Junior College. Southwest Texas Junior College is also approved by the Texas Education Agency and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Memberships

The college holds membership in the Texas Association of Community Colleges, the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the American Association of Community Colleges, and the American Council on Education.

Equal Opportunity Statement

It is the policy of Southwest Texas Junior College to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. This policy extends to employment, admissions, and all programs and activities supported by Southwest Texas Junior College. 

Catalog Changes

Requirements, regulations, curricula, tuition and fees in this catalog are subject to change without prior notice, in order to keep the college in compliance with state and federal laws, applicable regulations from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Texas Education Agency and other accrediting agencies. The provisions of this catalog do not constitute a contract between any student and Southwest Texas Junior College.

How to Request Information from Southwest Texas Junior College 

Inquiries for specific information should be addressed to the appropriate office as follows:

Southwest Texas Junior College
2401 Garner Field Road
Uvalde, Texas  78801-6297
(830) 278-4401

General College Affairs                      
Main College Switchboard
(830) 278-4401
(830) 591-7354 FAX

Faculty Appointments and Academic Policies                
Dr. Mark E. Underwood
Vice-President of Academic Affairs
(830) 591-7286
(830) 591-7354 FAX

Information Technology                    
Derek Sandoval
Vice-President of Administrative Services
(830) 591-7372
(830) 591-7208 FAX

Admissions, Student Records, and Information           
Margot H. Mata
Vice-President for Student Services
(830) 591-7223
(830) 591-7396 FAX

Financial Aid and Student Employment                 
Yvette Hernandez
Student Financial Aid Director
(830) 591-7318
(830) 591-2925 FAX

Housing
Oscar S. Garcia
Director of Student Housing
(830) 591-7330
(830) 591-7340 FAX

Business Office Affairs
Anne H. Tarski
Vice-President for Finance
(830) 591-7294
(830) 591-7340 FAX

Counseling Services
Stephanie Perry
Academic Advising/Counseling Director
(830) 703-1580
(830) 591-7396 FAX

 

Copies of this publication have been distributed in compliance with the State Depository Law, and are available for public use through the Texas State Publications Depository Program at the Texas State Library and other state depository libraries.


SOUTHWEST TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE INSTITUTIONAL VISION STATEMENT

Southwest Texas Junior College creates and nurtures a learning-centered environment in which students, faculty, staff, and the community at-large can achieve their greatest potential.

 

SOUTHWEST TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE STATEMENT OF MISSION

Southwest Texas Junior College is a comprehensive, public college serving eleven counties in Southwest Texas. The College provides accessible, affordable, high-quality education that prepares students to successfully transfer to senior colleges and universities; enter the job market; pursue their professional and personal goals; and contribute to the economic growth of the region. 

SOUTHWEST TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE STATEMENT OF ROLE AND SCOPE

The college implements its mission through a clearly defined set of programs and services that include the following:

College-level Credit Programs

The college offers credit courses leading to associate degrees and certificates in technical fields and designed-to-transfer majors.

Continuing Education Programs 

The college provides professional and occupation development to individuals, businesses, industries, and government and health agencies.  A variety of non-credit activities for personal enhancement are also available. 

Adult Education and Literacy 

The college provides programs in Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) and English as a Second Language (ESL) which are designed to assist students in acquiring a General Education Diploma (GED).

Student Development Programs and Services

The college offers developmental programs and services to enrolled and prospective students to increase their chances for success and enhance their potential for personal, educational, and professional growth. 

Economic Development Programs 

The college promotes the economic development of the region by providing work force training for new and expanding industries as well as for transfer of technology to developing businesses.  The college also supports economic development agencies by assisting in the recruiting of businesses and industries to the area.

Access Programs and Services 

The college provides special recruitment, counseling and evaluation services that increase access for students not traditionally serviced by higher education.

Accreditation

Southwest Texas Junior College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the Associate of Arts in General Studies, Associate of Arts in Teaching, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science degrees, and certificates.  Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia  30033-4097, www.sacscoc.org, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Southwest Texas Junior College.  Southwest Texas Junior College is also approved by the Texas Education Agency and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Credits earned at SWTJC are transferable at full value to any college or university in the state on the same basis as those obtained in any other college or university.  They are also acceptable in most colleges and universities of the nation.

Memberships

The college holds membership in the Texas Association of Community Colleges, the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the American Association of Community Colleges, and the American Council on Education.

  

The People We Serve

      The courses and activities set forth in this catalog are of special interest to at least four groups:

  1. Those who wish to further their education by completing the first two years of college at a moderate cost with the prospect of earning a degree in a liberal arts college or university.
  2. Those who plan to enter one of the professions or fields of specialized services including agriculture, business, education or teaching, engineering, law, dentistry, medicine, nursing, and those who wish to continue their education of higher learning.
  3. Those who expect to complete their education after one or two years at SWTJC and who are primarily interested in acquiring either a well-rounded education or practical occupational preparation in such areas as business, farming and ranching, music, and nursing.
  4. Adults and others who wish to enroll in refresher courses or other fields of special interest; foreign languages, literature, the fine arts, mathematics, science, psychology, social studies, and non-credit short courses that give the adult certain special information.

 

Historical Sketch

As far back as 1926 a few far-sighted citizens of Sabinal and Uvalde advocated a junior college for this vast Southwest Texas area to be located in Uvalde, but it was not until twenty years later that this dream became a reality.  At the close of World War II, when the Army Air Force Flying School at Garner Field near Uvalde was deactivated, many public spirited citizens saw the need for an educational institution of higher learning to serve the returning veterans and the high school graduates of this area.  They saw in the beautiful campus and the existing buildings, valued at three-quarters of a million dollars, a plant ideally suited for a college.  With the beginning of the year 1946, a series of events brought about a movement that had as its climax the creation of the first tri-county junior college in Texas.

From 1942 to 1945 the buildings and property the college occupies were a part of an Army Air Force Flying School.  When the school closed on July 24, 1945, the original intent of the government was to sell everything possible as salvage, even to the point of digging up the grass, palms and shrubbery, leaving nothing but the bare ground.  Many public spirited citizens of Southwest Texas took steps to prevent the destruction of the property.

On January 2, 1946, the Commissioners’ Court of Uvalde County passed a resolution endorsing the plan to establish a combination Government Issue (G.I.) vocational school and junior college on the Garner Field site.  The following day, the Uvalde City Council approved a plan to organize a tri-county junior college district composed of Real, Uvalde, and Zavala counties.  In rapid succession this plan was endorsed by the senior and junior chambers of commerce and other organizations, and a mass meeting was held at the Uvalde County Courthouse with representatives from the three counties heartily supporting the movement.  The Reconstruction Finance Corporation approved Garner Field as a site for the proposed junior college.  Petitions were circulated in Real, Uvalde, and Zavala counties requesting the State Board of Education to authorize the establishment of a tri-county district.  Upon receiving this approval, an election was held on May 18, 1946 in the proposed district.  The propositions were passed by a decisive majority and thus, the first joint-county district in the state of Texas came into being.

On September 13, 1946, the city of Uvalde purchased the Garner Field property and leased it to the board of trustees of the new junior college.  The institution was named Southwest Texas Junior College, a president was elected, and September 30, 1946 was set as the opening date.  However, more time was needed to complete arrangements and the actual opening date was October 14, 1946.

Early in the fall of 1946, SWTJC was approved by the State Department of Education (now Texas Education Agency) as a junior college of the first class.  In the fall of 1947, the college became a member of the American Association of Junior Colleges.  The college was given an affiliate membership in the Association of Texas Colleges in the spring of 1947.  In the fall of 1964, the college was admitted to membership in the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

On August 14, 1958, the Uvalde City Council presented the Board of Trustees the deed to the 79.28 acres of land on which the college is located.

Physical Plant

The physical plant of the college is presently valued at well over seventeen million dollars.  The campus area includes approximately seventy-nine acres, thirty-five of which are now in use.  Available space is adequate for many more buildings than are shown on the master plan.  Year round maintenance and beautification projects account for the attractive appearance of the campus.  Twenty permanent buildings have been erected within the last 36 years:  La Forge Hall, Joe Richarz Memorial Administration Building, Garner Science Center, Ettie R. Garner Hall, Sterling H. Fly, Sr. Memorial Building, Imogen Tate Fine Arts Center, Wagner Building, Kincaid Building, R.K. Miller Technical Building, Agriculture Metal Working Building, Will C. Miller Memorial Library, Essie Pearl Richarz Building, Hubbard Hall, W.C. Anderson Building, Physical Education Memorial Building, Rodolfo Espinosa, Jr. Educational Building, Wayne and Evalyn Matthews Student Center, the Tom and Hope Witt Building, Powers and Kirchner Hall Child Development Center, and the Rodolfo R. and Dolores Flores Student Services Center.

  

ACADEMIC FACILITIES - UVALDE

BUILDING A - Flores Student Services Center

The Rodolfo R. and Dolores Flores Student Services Center was constructed in 2008. The building is named in honor of lawyer/businessman, and current President of the SWTJC Board of Trustees, Rodolfo R. Flores and his wife Dolores. The Flores building houses SWTJC Admissions, Financial Aid, and Counseling personnel, as well as SWTJC’s Business Office personnel.

BUILDING B - Hubbard Hall

The building is named in honor of R.L. Hubbard of Leaky, member of the SWTJC Board of Trustees from 1954 to 1975. Hubbard Hall provides housing for 192 students with each student afforded a semi-private room with an outside entrance and a semi-private bathroom. It also contains a recreational lounge, TV cable connections for each room and service areas for student use.

BUILDING C - Miller Memorial Library

This building is named in memory of the late Will C. Miller of Houston in appreciation of his interest in education and his generous financial support of SWTJC. This building is a two-story structure which houses the Library.

BUILDING D - Richarz Administration Building

The Joe E. Richarz Memorial Administration Building was constructed in 1961 with gifts from Mr. and Mrs. Joe Richarz of Uvalde. The two-story brick structure houses the offices of the College President, the Vice-President of Academic Affairs, Dean of Applied Sciences and Workforce Education and the Dean of Liberal Arts and Adult education and Literacy. Included on the first floor is SWTJC Director of Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)/Professional Development Officer. The second floor houses the offices of the Vice-President of Administrative Services, SWTJC Public Information team and SWTJC’s Outreach team.

BUILDING E - Matthews Student Center

The Wayne and Evalyn Matthews Student Center is named in honor of former College President Wayne Matthews and his wife Evalyn in recognition of their contribution to the development of the college. The Matthews Student Center, which opened in 1980, also known as the SUB, Student Union Building contains 38,000 square feet of space occupied by the cafeteria, snack bar, banquet room, ballroom, computer labs, bookstore, conference rooms, student activities area, a courtyard, and offices for the Student Activities Director and Instructor offices.

BUILDING F - Garner Hall (Women’s Dormitory)

Ettie Rheiner Garner Hall was constructed in 1964 and was partially financed by gifts from Vice-President of the United States John Nance Garner, as a memorial to his wife, Ettie. This air-conditioned, two-story brick structure contains sixteen two-room suites with interconnecting baths to accommodate sixty-four females. There are two separate kitchenettes, a laundry room with washers and dryers and a spacious lounge (for receiving and entertaining visitors).

BUILDING G - Wildlife Management

SWTJC Wildlife Management program is currently housed at the Uvalde Municipal Airport. An agreement between SWTJC and the City of Uvalde and the airport has made this possible.

BUILDING H - Witt Building

The Tom and Hope Witt Building was constructed in 1993 and was financed by proceeds derived from the sale of the Witt Ranch, given to the college by Hope Victor Witt. This building contains 10,000 square feet of offices, classrooms and reception area and is home to the Allied Health Programs: Radiologic Technology, Licensed Vocational Nursing, and Registered Nursing.

BUILDING I - Wagner Building

The Leander Wagner Building, constructed in 1966, is named for Leander Wagner of Crystal City, a charter member of the SWTJC Board of Trustees with continuous service from 1946 to 1976. It contains the Business Division, Law Enforcement Academy classrooms, SWTJC’s Information Technology team and a faculty office complex.

BUILDING J - Miller Building

The R.K. Miller Technical Building is named after R.K. Miller of La Pryor, Texas, who served as a member of the SWTJC Board of Trustees from 1956-1984. The Miller building houses the Automotive Technology and Air-Conditioning/Refrigeration programs. This facility also provides space for faculty offices, classrooms, shops, Adult Education and Literacy, and the Testing Center. The 13,000 square foot automotive mechanics technology portion of this building was completed in 1969, with 34,000 square feet added in 1975.

BUILDING K - Maintenance Building

BUILDING L - Transportation Building

BUILDING M - Richarz Building

The Essie Pearl Richarz Building was constructed in 1971 as a memorial to Mrs. Joe Richarz of Uvalde, whose estate provided partial financing for its construction. It houses the Middle Rio Grande Regional Law Enforcement Academy, the office of Institutional Effectiveness, and faculty offices. The building was completely renovated in 1989.

BUILDING N - Garner Science Building

The John Nance Garner Science Building was completed in September of 1962. Financed by gifts from former Vice-President of the United States John Nance Garner of Uvalde, this facility includes 13,202 square feet of floor space containing classrooms and laboratories for sciences and mathematics instruction.

BUILDING O - Anderson Building

The W.C. Anderson Building is named in honor of W.C. Anderson, member of the SWTJC Board of Trustees form 1957 to 1974. The Anderson Building houses two classrooms, SWTJC’s Printing Center, and faculty offices. SWTJC’S EOC (Educational Opportunities Center) office.

BUILDING P - Kincaid Building

The Edgar Kincaid Building houses classrooms and laboratories. Constructed in 1968, it is named in honor of Edgar Kincaid of Sabinal, a charter member of the SWTJC Board of Trustees with continuous service from 1946 to 1971.

BUILDING Q - Memorial Building

The Memorial Art Building and Pool was constructed in 1976 and is dedicated to the memory of all SWTJC students who lost their lives in the armed forces. It contains a heated swimming pool, dressing rooms, and classrooms. The Memorial Building was completely renovated in 1990 to include SWTJC’s Art Studio and classroom space.

BUILDING R - La Forge Gymnasium

The Herschel La Forge Gymnasium was constructed in 1959 as the first permanent facility on the college campus and is named in honor of Herschel La Forge, M.D. of Uvalde. Dr. La Forge was a member of the SWTJC Board of Trustees from 1946-1975. The La Forge Hall Gymnasium houses the Physical Education and Athletic Departments of SWTJC. Included in the Gym is a student physical fitness center that contains a regulation length basketball court with spectator seating. It also includes dressing rooms, weight rooms with Selector machines, plates, benches, and dumbbells. The Gymnasium also holds a racquetball court, spinning cycle room, dance space, and a functional fitness area.

BUILDING S - Fly Building

The Sterling H. Fly, Sr. Memorial Building was opened in 1965 and is named in memory of Sterling H. Fly, Sr. who served as President of the College from 1953 to 1962. Formerly the student center, this building was remodeled in 1980. It houses Student Support Services and the Student Success Center.

BUILDING T - Tate Building

The Imogen Tate Fine Arts Center was constructed in 1969 and named in honor of Mrs. Imogen Tate of Crystal City, a charter member of the SWTJC Board of Trustees with continuous service from 1946 to 1976. The Imogen Tate Fine Arts Center contains a 228-seat auditorium with practice rooms for music students, classrooms, and a faculty office complex.

BUILDING U - Espinosa Building

The Rodolfo Espinosa, Jr. Educational Building was completed in 1977 to provide additional space for the college’s fine arts programs. It includes a cosmetology classroom and lab, and lecture rooms fully equipped for SWTJC’s DL (Distance Learning) instructional programs.

BUILDING V - Autobody/Welding Building

The Autobody/Welding Building, constructed in 1968, provides space for SWTJC’s Automotive Body Repair and Welding Technology programs. The building houses classrooms and office spaces.

BUILDING W - Warehouse

SWTJC’s Warehouse was completed in 1968. The building initially was home to SWTJC’s Maintenance Department. The building currently receives all packages for SWTJC and warehouses supplies, equipment, and other materials.

BUILDING X - Briscoe Building

The Janie and Dolph Briscoe Building is home to Sul Ross University – Rio Grande College’s Uvalde campus. This building was completed in 2008.

BUILDING Y - Powers and Kirchner Building

The Mary B. Powers and F.B. Kirchner Hall Child Development Center, built in 1998, is a 5,800 square foot facility that was partially financed by the $200,000 gift from Mr. F. B. Kirchner who ranched in Edwards County. Mrs. Mary B. Powers, who was Mr. Kirchner’s mother, willed SWTJC $5,000 for beautification and landscaping of the grounds around the building. The facility provides day care services for 45 children and contains a classroom and observation sites for students enrolled in the Child Development Program.

BUILDING Z - Mary B. Powers and F.B. Kirchner Infant Building

The Mary B. Powers and F.B. Kirchner Infant Building accommodates a large indoor/outdoor play space and nursery room.

BUILDING AA - Lineman Training Building

This structure is used for SWTJC’s Lineman Training program.


Notable Structures on the Uvalde campus

1966:
Patti La Forge Seals Memorial fountain was placed between the Joe Richarz Memorial and Sterling H. Fly Sr. Buildings.

1967:
Birdbath given by the Business Administration Club; sundial is donated by sophomore class of 1967. Concrete benches given by Uvalde businessperson Kent Beecroft in memory of J.C. Smith, the late husband of Estalee Smith, former head of the food services department.

1970:
Double driveway entrance was constructed.

1971:
SWTJC Presidents’ home was built with Wayne and Evalyn Matthews as the first occupants.

1972:
The last three barracks used as men’s dormitories were torn down and replaced with the Hubbard Hall building.

 

ACADEMIC FACILITIES - DEL RIO

Southwest Texas Junior College – Del Rio, 207 Wildcat Drive, exists and operates to provide its students with the understanding and skills necessary to function productively in our society.  The college further recognized its responsibility to identify and serve the various educational needs of its students that result from differences in academic preparation, various cultural backgrounds, and diverse educational objectives.  The center attempts to meet these needs through an ongoing assessment of its student population, academic counseling and testing programs, and a number of other student services.

The first full-time director for Del Rio was appointed in the fall semester, 1975.  The first office was located at 708 Bedell.  By the late fall of 1980, a new office building had been built and occupied at 207 Wildcat Drive.

SWTJC – Del Rio offers courses leading to an Associate of Arts degree in General Education.  Courses taken for this degree parallel core freshman and sophomore university courses and are an integral part of any four-year degree program.  The core courses as well as a number of electives are offered each fall, spring, and summer session.

In addition, courses for an Associate of Applied Science degree in Management, Computer Information Systems, Criminal Justice, Child Development, and Administrative Information Technology are offered.  These courses offer students an opportunity to learn many technical skills in their respective areas of study.

 

BUILDING A

Academic Building A was constructed in 1996; it is 18,278 sq. ft. in size.  Building A contains The Amistad Room, used for events and meetings; Bookstore; three Distance Learning classrooms, four stand-alone classrooms; Information Technology and Distance Learning Offices; student computer lab; Student Success Center, STEM Lab, faculty/staff workrooms; Business Management, Engineering, and Math faculty offices.

BUILDING B

Academic Building B was constructed in 2013-14; it is  32,615 sq. ft. in size.  Its construction was funded in part by both the Polly Chandler Foundation and the Charles Chandler Foundation.  Building B contains five Distance Learning (video-conference) labs; ten stand-alone classrooms, Biology labs; conference room, employee breakroom; faculty offices; library; media room; nursing labs and offices; office for campus security; Student Life Specialist’s Office; student lounge, and workroom.

BUILDING C               

The Charles and Polly Chandler Student Services Building was constructed in 2013-14 and funded in part by the Polly Chandler Foundation and the Charles Chandler Foundation; it is 5,915 sq. ft. in size.  Building C contains Administration, Advising, Financial Aid, Admissions/ Business Office; conference room and employee lounge.

BUILDING D

Building D was built in 1980, it is 3,500 sq. ft. in size.  Building D was the first building at the Del Rio campus.  It currently contains Educational Opportunity Center; Arts and Psychology faculty offices and two classrooms.

BUILDING E

Building E was acquired in 2007 from the Uvalde campus; it is 1,810 sq. ft.  It houses Adult Basic Education/Adult Education and Literacy offices; Distance Learning classroom used for GED classes.  It originally contained faculty offices and Distance Learning computer lab.

BUILDING F

Building F was constructed in 209 by Ilcor Builders; it is 1,536 ft. in size,  Building F contains two classrooms used for Adult Basic Education classes and Workforce Training & Development programs.

BUILDING G

Building G is a mobile home, 672 sq. ft. used by the Maintenance/Custodial Department for janitorial supplies and storage.  During the 1990’s the mobile home was utilized as the Del Rio Campus Bookstore.

BUILDING H

Building H was moved in 2017 from the Eagle Pass campus to the Del Rio campus; it is 1,488 sq. ft. in size.  In 2017 the building was remodeled for future use of the Aviation Maintenance program.  The commercial certificate of occupancy was obtained from the City of Del Rio on August 3, 2018. 

BUILDING J

Building J was donated to SWTJC by the Val Verde Regional Medical Center in 1995; it is 3,750 sq. ft. in size.  It houses the Student Union Building (SUB), game room, and workout room for physical education classes and for use of the faculty, staff and community.  The community may use the workout room for a service fee.  It formerly housed LVN classrooms and offices.

BUILDING K

Building K is currently used by Sul Ross University - Rio Grande College’s Del Rio campus.  It is 5,934 sq. ft. in size.  It was constructed in 1993 and contains Administration, Business Services/Admissions, Financial Aid, and Student Services offices.

BUILDING L

Building L was constructed in 2002.  It is currently used by Sul Ross University – Rio Grande College’s Del Rio campus.  It is 4,815 sq. ft. in size.  It contains Technical Vocational Department, Writing Center, and teaching/student labs.

BUILDING M

Building M was constructed in 2002 and is currently used by Su l Ross University – Rio Grande College’s Del Rio campus.  It is 18,849 sq. ft. in size.  It contains Academic Building; Student Services Department and classrooms. 

BUILDING N

Building N was constructed in 2002.  It is currently used by Sul Ross University – Rio Grande College’s Del Rio campus.  It is 4,722 sq. ft. in size.  It houses faculty and staff offices.

ACADEMIC FACILITIES - EAGLE PASS

Southwest Texas Junior College - Eagle Pass was developed in 1973-74 as an off-campus evening center to help those students who, for various reasons, cannot attend classes on the main campus at Uvalde, Texas.  SWTJC - Eagle Pass is located at 3101 Bob Rogers Drive.

The main purpose of SWTJC-Eagle Pass is to provide its students with the understanding and skills necessary to function productively in our society.  The faculty and staff recognize their responsibility to identify and serve the various educational needs of its students that may result from differences in academic preparation, cultural background, and educational goals.  The administration, faculty and staff attempts to meet these needs through an ongoing assessment of its student population, counseling, and testing.

The counseling services and programs are designed to help students realistically assess their potential and to assist them in formulating a program of study or degree plan most suited to their own personal needs, desires, and abilities.

SWTJC – Eagle Pass offers courses leading to an Associate of Arts degree in General Education.  Courses taken for this degree parallel core freshman and sophomore university courses and are an integral part of any four-year degree program.  The core courses as well as a number of electives are offered each fall, spring, and summer session.

Furthermore, courses leading to an Associate of Applied Science degree in Management, Computer Information Systems, Criminal Justice, Child Development, and Administrative Information Technology are offered. One year and two year certificates are also available.  These courses offer students an opportunity to learn technical skills in their respective areas of study.  Additionally, courses leading to licensed vocational nursing (LVN) and associates degree in nursing (ADN) are offered.

Administration and Student Services Building

The Administration and Student Services Building was constructed in 2005.  The building houses Advising and Counseling, Financial Aid, Admissions and Registrar’s, Business Office and the office of the Vice-President. 

BUILDING A

The Gilbert C. Bermea Building was constructed in 1994.  It is named for Gilbert C. Bermea, the first Director and Dean of SWTJC Eagle Pass who served from 1973 to 2007.  The building houses academic classrooms, a science lab, chemistry lab, and faculty offices.

BUILDING C

Building C was constructed in 1998, it serves as a classroom building, houses the Student Success Center, bookstore and faculty offices as well as a student lounge.

BUILDING E

Building E was constructed in 2005. It houses Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN) and Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) classrooms and laboratories, EMT classroom and laboratory as well as anatomy laboratory and faculty offices for Allied Health faculty.  Also housed here are distance learning classrooms. 

BUILDING F

Building F was constructed in 2016.  The building houses a Café, Library, a Multi-Purpose Center, classroom and faculty offices.  The building also houses distance learning classrooms, Engineering and Physics labs.

Chittim Technical Center

The Jack R. Chittim Technical Center was constructed in 2016.  The center houses a variety of work-force education programs, the Law Enforcement Academy, Truck Driving, Diesel Mechanics, and the Welding Technology programs.

Adult Education and Literacy Building

The Adult Education and Literacy Building was constructed in 1982 as the first college-owned facility in Eagle Pass.  It housed classrooms, Admissions, Counseling and Business Office services.  After 1994 it became the Adult Education and Literacy Building, which houses GED and adult education classes as well as offices for AEL staff.

 

STUDENT RIGHT-TO-KNOW

 

Graduation and Transfer Rates

In compliance with the Student Right-to-Know Act, Public Law 101-542, Southwest Texas Junior College makes available to current and prospective students information on student graduation and transfer rates upon request to the Office of Institutional Research.

Campus Security and Crime Awareness

In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, Public Law 101-542, information regarding campus crime and security policies are reported annually in the Campus Safety and Security Report and are distributed to students in Freshman Orientation.  This information is also available to all current and prospective students and employees upon request from the Southwest Texas Junior College Police Department or online at: 

https://swtjc.edu/about/campus-safety/index.html

 

ADVANTAGES OFFERED BY SOUTHWEST TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE

University Preparation:  The College offers the first two years of regular college work leading to higher degrees in liberal arts colleges and professional schools.  This work is performed under conditions that are conducive to better learning, better grades, and fewer failures.

Occupational Curricula:  Students who do not plan to go beyond the first two years of college may take a two-year course in wildlife management, business training, or in other vocations or semi-professional careers without having to satisfy the requirements of the senior colleges.

Guidance and Orientation:  A program of orientation and guidance is provided to help students plan their future in accordance with their aptitude, interest, and needs.  This guidance enables students to make intelligent career choices.

The Faculty:  The faculty is highly trained and experienced.  The salary schedule and academic standards are designed to attract instructors of the highest quality. 

Meeting Individual Needs:  Our small classes permit closer student relationships and student-faculty cooperation.  Students will also find it convenient to confer, at almost any time, with many of the faculty members.

Student Activities:  The College sponsors a student activities program that gives each student an opportunity to participate in those activities that promote their specific interests and develop their particular aptitudes.

Lower Costs: Transportation services allows most residents to commute during the week and to spend weekends at home.  The cost of room and board on campus is considerably lower than most colleges and universities.  Loans, grants, scholarships, and work opportunities help many students complete their college work.  These advantages represent savings that permit many to continue at the senior institutions of their choice.

Environment and Location:  Uvalde enjoys the reputation of being one of the cleanest and most attractive residential cities in the nation.  The college district is composed of Real, Uvalde, and Zavala counties, and embraces parts of the most beautiful scenic areas in the state.  The Nueces, Frio, and Sabinal Rivers, as well as smaller streams, traverse the district from north to south; and magnificent Garner State Park is located just twenty-five miles north of the college.  The Uvalde Municipal Airport is adjacent to the college campus.

Opportunities for Veterans:  Veterans or their children (survivors) who plan to enroll at the college, under the provisions of the “G.I. Bill of Rights,” should obtain a certificate of eligibility well in advance of registration from the regional office of the Veterans Administration. Necessary applications can be obtained from SWTJC.  Special efforts are made to aid and encourage all veterans to secure the full benefits from the “G.I. Bill of Rights” during their periods of eligibility.  Entrance requirements for veterans are the same as those for non-veterans.

Transportation Service:  Transportation is offered to students in Eagle Pass, Del Rio, and Crystal City traveling to the Uvalde campus.  There is a $150.00 fee for each student per semester.  The transportation provided is based on need determined by SWTJC.

Dual Enrollment:  High school students are encouraged to enroll in eligible college classes.  Please contact your high school counselor or the Outreach Department for more information about dual credit in your respective ISD.

Transfer/Career Center:  The Transfer/Career Center provides information concerning career planning, online career assessment and interpretation, university transfer information and visitor information. 

Student Support Services:  This program provides counseling, specially designed workshops, peer tutoring, and testing in writing and basic math skills.  The goal of this federally funded program is to increase the retention and graduation rate of students, who by traditional academic measures, would have difficulty succeeding in college.

The needs of students accepted in the program are thoroughly assessed through testing and counseling.  Students are informed of the costs and transferability of post-secondary education, eligibility for financial aid and the application process. 

Distance Learning:  In an effort to increase access to educational opportunities, the college is now offering a variety of courses via interactive instructional telecommunications (two-way interactive television) and through the internet. 

Library Services:  SWTJC Libraries provide 24/7 online access to all SWTJC students and faculty.

The libraries of Southwest Texas Junior College provide 24/7 online access for all SWTJC and Sul Ross – RGC students and faculty.  The SWTJC libraries have a collection of more than 32,000 titles, maintains subscriptions to approximately 59 periodicals (15 print, 44 digital) and 8 newspapers. The library provides access to online databases, computers with internet access, a makerspace with 3D printers and musical instruments, study rooms, and a resource room.  Inter-Library Loan (ILL) requests for materials housed at other SWTJC campuses, Sul Ross State University, and other libraries are submitted through email to bmcantu@swtjc.edu.  A valid SmartCard (student ID card) is required to check out library materials and computers.  The library web page address is https://library.swtjc.edu.  For reference help or other library questions, email library@swtjc.edu or call 830-591-7367.  Off-campus access to databases and other digital resources are available by entering the student ID number located on the SmartCard at the login prompt.