Creative Arts Contest
Annual Awards Ceremony
Winners in each age group and category will be presented an award at the annual SWTJC Creative Arts Contest Awards Ceremony. The ceremony will take place Thursday, April 27, 2017 at the SWTJC Matthews Student Center located on the main campus in Uvalde. We will give first, second, third and fourth place awards in each age group and category. A $20 cash prize will be awarded overall literary and visual arts winners in each age group. Winners will be posted online at www.swtjc.edu. Traditionally, we do not tell you what place you have won. We save that for the ceremony!
Literary Deadline: March 23, 2017 at 5 p.m.
- All manuscripts must be TYPED ON A WORD PROCESSOR/COMPUTER (white paper only).
- The name of the contestant SHOULD NOT appear on the manuscript.
- A completed entry form must accompany each entry. Be sure to indicate the appropriate age group and category.
- Poetry may be written in any form, but MAY NOT exceed 150 lines.
- Essays must not exceed 1,200 words. Entry in the essay category is limited to grades 7 and up.
- Short stories MUST NOT exceed 2,000 words.
- Contestants may enter more than one category, but may submit only one entry in each category.
- Each school may submit only six entries per age group per category.
- WRITING ENTRIES WILL NOT BE RETURNED. PLEASE MAKE A COPY of your entry before submitting it.
- Age divisions:
- Pre-K and Kindergarten
- Grades 1-2
- Grades 3-4
- Grades 5-6
- Grades 7-8
- Grades 9-10
- Grades 11-12
Visual Arts Rules:
Visual Arts Deadline: March 23, 20167 at 5 p.m.
Visual Art Categories:
- Drawing with Color
- Pen and Ink Drawing (one-color ink)
- Photography (grades 7 and up)
- Computer-Generated Graphics
- Mixed Media (college and community only)
- Video Production (grades 7 and up, includes community)
- Age groups are the same as the literary contest.
- Entries must be submitted in a form suitable for display (Mount entries on poster board, construction paper or matte board for easy hanging in a size that is easy to handle). PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT FRAMED ART.
- Contestants may enter more than one category, but only one entry per category.
- In the Photography category, either color or black and white photographs may be submitted. Entries will be judged according to composition, treatment of subject, and other artistic qualities deemed appropriate by the judges. Photography competition is LIMITED to grades 7 and up.
- A completed entry form must accompany each entry. The form must be attached to the back of the artwork.
- Art SHOULD NOT exceed the following size: 24" x 18" including the matte).
- Clip art from computer programs will not be accepted as a Computer-Generated Graphic. Entries must be originals designed by the entrant. Color or black and white entries will be accepted.
- Videos should be submitted in DVD format. This is an open topic category. Videos must be from 1 to 8 minutes long. This competition is limited to grades 7 and up.
- Each school can submit only six entries per age group in each category.
Deliver all entries by mail to SWTJC Public Information Office; 2401 Garner Field Road; Uvalde, TX 78801. Entries may be delivered in person to the SWTJC Public Information Office in the Administration Building on the SWTJC Uvalde campus.
Questions? Call (830) 591-2942.